1113 – 1117 Dundas Street WestReturn To Projects
The 1113-1117 Dundas Street West project will deliver affordable and market rental housing units constructed out of mass timer in the Spadina-Fort York area. The site currently includes a Green P surface parking lot and a semi-detached home at its eastern edge.
CreateTO, in collaboration with the City’s Environment and Climate Division, the Housing Secretariat and City Planning, launched the Mass Timber Pilot Program in 2022 to assess the feasibility of developing new housing using mass timber. The pilot focuses on expediting housing delivery, sustainability, and a climate-action based approach. The property at 1113-1117 Dundas Street West is the first City-owned site to be considered for the delivery of affordable and market housing in the form of mass timber and other low-carbon materials for building construction.
Through the pilot project it will become home to a leading-edge sustainable building and laneway housing that helps provide urgently needed housing, including at least 100 rental units.
CreateTO is currently preparing materials to support a City-initiated Official Plan Amendment (OPA) and rezoning application for the development of a 10-storey building and laneway housing. The first OPA and zoning submission is planned for December 2023.
Objectives of the Pilot Program
The Mass Timber Pilot Program focuses on exploring how the City can deliver new, scalable affordable and market housing solutions which support City’s climate action goals, while also speeding up delivery of affordable and market housing. Its key objectives are:
- New housing, both affordable and market;
- Development that is grounded in sustainability and climate action; and
- Development that is cost-effective and efficient to construct in the City.
- Fall 2023 – Preparation of development concept, OPA and rezoning application.
- Winter 2023/2024 – Community Consultation and Submission of an OPA and Zoning By-law application
- Spring/Summer 2024 – The OPA and Zoning By-law application and the development concept for 1113-1117 Dundas Street West are anticipated to go to Planning and Housing Committee/Toronto City Council for consideration in spring/summer 2024.
Have a question about the 1113 – 1117 Dundas Street West Mass Timber Pilot project or want to sign up for project updates? If so, email email@example.com
- Major Intersection: Dundas Street West and Ossington Avenue
- Surrounding Uses: Residential/Retail
- Ward: Spadina-Fort York
- Councillor: Ausma Malik
- Site Area (acres): 0.43
- Proposed Use: Residential